Friday, June 25, 2010

Literally a Sweet Pea

So, at week 5, an embryo is the size of a poppy seed. Week 6 - we're nearing the end - it's the size of a sweet pea. And next week? We graduate to a blueberry. Mind boggling.

Yesterday was another ultrasound, another beautiful picture. The much anticipated bonus this time was a heartbeat! It was 109 bpm which is right in line where it should be (normally 90-110 bpm at this stage... Paul googled it). Here's the pic of the sweet pea:



It was a tough day for me because I couldn't be "in the know" as it was happening. I had a meeting from 8-2 with virtually no time to call, chat or otherwise engage in baby talk. T called Paul to let him know all went well while I was mid-presentation about the most exciting of topics... turnover, unemployment and the CA economy. I know, I warned you it was exciting! Paul IM'd me on my blackberry to give me the news, and it became increasing hard to play it cool at the office. It's so hard to keep this hush hush, but we're doing it for self-preservation and soon enough others will know.

Paul and I made a loosely constructed deal that we could "just look" at baby stuff once a heartbeat was detected. That means we would no longer forbid ourselves to walk the baby aisles at Target or zip past the Babies R Us on the 101 at 80mph. As I was thinking about this last night, it became a game of semantics... "no longer forbid ourselves" became "not forbidden, but not recommended." This guarded-feeling thing is getting old. I can't wait to be the person who goes shopping and buys something baby-related because I want to, or because I know it'll be needed. I wouldn't even *think* of that now. {shudders}

No comments:

Post a Comment