Originally we were going to wait until the 1/2 way point to tell anyone we're expecting, but that just seems completely pessimistic. In all of my reading of websites and blogs, nobody waits until 20 weeks to share the good news - even in the IVF and surrogacy worlds. So as we end the first trimester this week and start the second on Monday, we are preparing for THE announcement. This weekend we'll focus on our families and go from there.
I'm not actually sure what to expect from people since I'm fairly sure most aren't schooled in surrogacy. T says the first thing many people ask her is "how much money do you make being a surrogate?" Not that anyone has ever asked me what I make at my job, but it does remind me of a tactic to use when people ask personal questions that you don't want to answer:
Person: [none-of-your-business question asked]
Me: When was the last time you had a herpes test?
Person: What? Excuse me?
Me: Oh, my bad! I thought we were asking questions of one another that are none of our business!
[And, for the record, see how I've matured since responding to the "old mom" comments from my earlier post?]
I expect most people will be supportive and happy that we're starting our family together, period. I am, however, a bit curious as to what a few loose cannons will say; I do know a few people who struggle with kindness, compassion and common sense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love your tactic!
ReplyDelete