Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Most Reassuring Sound

The heartbeat is the most reassuring sound ever. I heard it for the first time this past Monday over the phone at T's regular OB visit. It was strong and fast and I was amazed - even a bit overwhelmed by the emotion. Later that day, she returned home to find the doppler had been delivered to her house... so of course she had to try that out too. She heard that same wonderful, strong pounding and called me so I could hear again, too. Of course the peanut didn't cooperate and made finding the heartbeat tough, so I talked with T's middle daughter to pass some time while her mom focused on getting the heartbeat audible again. After a few unsuccessful minutes, T told her daughter to tell me that they would call me back... and this is how it came out on the phone: "Mom can't find a heartbeat so we'll call you back." I wasn't worried since I'd heard it earlier in the day, but those are words you don't ever want to hear under normal circumstances. I have to admit, it was pretty humorous in that situation!

Fast forward a few hours... Paul got home from work and I asked him if he wanted to hear the heartbeat. Of course he did so we called T. She got the thing all hooked up and he heard it for the first time (I, of course, at this point was an old pro since I'd heard it twice before). He was ecstatic! All the little pieces add up to make it more real each day, but add the thumping of a baby's heart to the picture and it became super real, super fast.

Again, last night, T used the doppler. She recorded and uploaded it to YouTube so we could hear it... and as of now, there have been 9 views and I'm pretty sure they're all from me playing and replaying it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu11uRPaKlo

Once I figure out how to save the file as an MP3, I'll post it here.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, a heartbeat! A heartbeat! Yay!!!

    So happy for you, taking notes about what to expect and when. 15 weeks and a heartbeat have to make you feel great and like it's really real. Congratulations, you are a Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand what you mean when you say "it became super real, super fast.", as IP's it seems so surreal... since the pregnant lady isn't around us 24/7 but ever since we saw our male twin yawn on the ultrasound monitor and felt them both kick, it has made it so much more real.

    ReplyDelete