Saturday, July 17, 2010

SAHM

SAHM: stay-at-home-mom. I really admire parents who stay home with their kids - well, the ones who are really good at it, at least. Happily, I know lots of mommies who are good at this! Sadly, I also know some who are not. I gave this topic a lot of thought this week and I come back to the same conclusion each time... I'd be a mediocre SAHM. Don't get me wrong, I think I'd enjoy it the majority of the time. Who wouldn't enjoy play dates at the park, trips to the beach, and exploring the zoo on a regular basis? Hell, I wouldn't even mind poopy diapers, sticky peanut butter and jelly hands or strong arming the kid into naptime.

But I just can't imagine being somone's mom as what defines me. I know your identity is hidden once you have kids and that you become so-and-so's mom or dad - and that's cool. But I'm also a working professional who has been employed since... well, since the summer after high school. I'd be lost without my work, without my co-workers and without a professional purpose. I don't want to minimize my excitement about the baby at all. I am soooooo looking forward to this new chapter! I'm just not ready to give up who I am and everything I've done to date.

SAHD on the other hand... I think Paul would be a great stay-at-home-dad :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your honesty! I completely relate! I stayed home the first year of both my girls lives.. but you know what..?! Im a much better mom when I work! I need that sense of normalcy and interaction with adults! I am home to get them off the bus, feed them supper, do homework, cuddle and tuck them in a night! Im the best of both worlds type of mommy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best said by you and I imagine it would be the same for me: "I need that sense of normalcy and interaction with adults!" AMEN! I think I could dabble in both worlds, too!

    ReplyDelete