Thursday, December 2, 2010

"Born via Surrogate"

So I'm reading my normal trashy celebrity "news" on Yahoo's OMG tonight - just minding my own business - when I click on the link to an article about Sarah Jessica Parker. I really liked her in everything Sex in the City and know I'm in the minority, but hey, we've all got things we don't admit in public.

ANYWAY!

I'm reading the piece when this jumps out at me: "Parker and her husband Matthew Broderick are parents to a son, James Wilkie, 8, and twin girls, Marion Loretta ("Kitty") and Tabitha Hodge ("Babe"), who were born via surrogate in June 2009."

I think the whole world knows those girls were born via a surrogate. Why do they always make it part of their identity and put it in the articles?! Gee thanks, Yahoo, for putting a new "I wonder if" thought in my head!

Now I am wondering if every time I mention my child, if someone (hopefully in their head) will say "born via surrogate" or if every time someone else mentions my child, they will say "Caleb, born via surrogate."

I realize I'm no SJP and that their use of a surrogate to have their girls was highly publicized. I also know we have no shame or feeling "less than" for needing a surrogate's help ourselves. But seriously?! Can't the kids be label-less and just be [insert name here], rather than [insert name here], born via surrogate?

4 comments:

  1. I agree. It is already well known they were born via surro. There is no need to keep announcing it. Those girls are their babies no matter how they entered this world.. no need for the constant media reminder.. That being said. I would like to think that it is stated this way because it IS the media.. and in the real world.. people dont actually think of the child with that label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so. It always bothers me to hear someone - typically older - say "oh, the adopted one?" or "the gay one" or "the black one"... I'm voting for a label-less world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. It's disturbing.. Just like many kids are labeled "the one they adopted". Sorry people, I have 6 children- I dont even answer the question when ppl ask me if some are adopted anymore. 2 of them are not the same race as me so it's fairly obvious, why ask?!

    ReplyDelete