Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Why I love California

Southern California has always been home and I am grateful for that. Here is why I love California:

  • Great weather
  • Beaches, mountains, views and scenery
  • Big cities like Los Angeles and San Diego
  • Small-town feeling cities like Santa Barbara and Ojai
  • Cities that feel somewhere in the middle... like Ventura
  • Amusement parks
  • Shopping galore
  • Bike trails, hiking trails, dog parks and parks, parks, parks
  • Crazy people (think Venice Beach)
  • Year-round growing, family farms, and fruit stands
  • Pacific Coast Highway
  • Palm Springs and San Diego weekends
  • California Paid Family Leave << where are the blinking lights for this one??

Yes! That is my newest reason for loving our beautiful (and broke, but I don't care right now because I am going to take full advantage of a benefit that I'm entitled to, dammit) state!!

I had no idea I was entitled to any sort of paid leave since I won't be out on a pregnancy/medical leave and was anticipating using my PTO for 6ish weeks once Caleb makes his debut. Of course I wanted to take a longer leave, but unpaid leave is not an option for us. But now that I can have some paid time and use my PTO to supplement my wages, I will be able to take more time. Even better, in CA I don't have to take it in one chunk. So I could have one 12 week leave, or two 6-week leaves, or perhaps even break the latter 6 week leave down to 2 week chunks. So much to consider; not exactly sure what works best for us as of now. But yahooooo, I have options and I am loving CA even more today!

We also need to see about Paul's ability to take some sort of leave in the future. He'll need some bonding time, too!

For anyone else wondering about CA leave laws for parents and/or pregnancy, I found this summary very helpful:

http://www.paidfamilyleave.org/pdf/FiveKeyLawsPoster.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment